
08-16-2005, 04:17 PM
[quote:a8c9a]
Innocent Brazilian was shot by TWO officers
By Christopher Leake and Martin Smith
UK - Mail on Sunday 14th August, 2005
50% of Page 10 - again NOT included in their web site.
The innocent Brazilian killed by police after being mistaken for a suicide bomber was shot by two officers, the Mail on Sunday can reveal.
It was originally thought only one marksman was involved in the death of 27-year-old Jean Charles de Menezes.
But it has now emerged that the seven bullets to his head and one in the shoulder were fired by two guns.
last night a source close to the case confirmed: ‘There were, in fact, two policemen who fired the fatal shots.’
The tragedy happened on July 22 after Mr de Menezes, an electrician left a block of flats at Tulse Hill, South London, where police believed one of the failed Tube and bus bombers from the previous day had been living. Three plain clothes officers tailed Mr de Menezes for several miles before he arrived at Stockwell Tube station. As he got to a train Mr de Menezes was pinned down and shot from close range.
‘Why was CCTV at Tube not working properly?’
In a separate development it was claimed yesterday that CCTV footage of the shooting, vital to the enquiry into his death, will not be available because most of the cameras at the station were not working.
Tube Lines, the company responsible for the maintenance of CCTV on the Underground ,denied the allegation, saying its cameras at Stockwell were working on July 22.
The police have already stated that 24 hours before Mr de Menezes was shot, three of the four bombings suspects had assembled at the station at 12.25pm, suggesting they had confirmation of that fact from security cameras.
Last night both Scotland Yard and London Underground refused to comment on whether cameras had been used to identify the suspects. And the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) which is investigating Mr de Menezes’s death, said only: ‘We have all the evidence that is available.’
But Harriet Wistrich, the lawyer representing Mr de Menezes’s family told the Mail on Sunday: ‘It beggars belief that there was no CCTV at Stockwell Tube station at a time when London is on a high security alert. Ever since 7/7 every station should have been fitted with CCTV cameras and they should have been working properly. It begs the question whether we are being given a true and accurate picture of the evidence available.’
The two officers who shot Mr de Menezes - from the Yard’s elite firearms unit, SO19 - face possible prosecution for murder or manslaughter when the investigation is complete. The IPCC’s report, which will take months to compile, will be sent to the Crown prosecution Service. The CPS will decide if the officers should be taken to court. An inquest will also be held.
The day after the shooting it was claimed that Mr de Menezes vaulted over a ticket barrier and sprinted down escalators to escape police. He was also said to have refused to surrender and to have been wearing a bulky winter coat. But it has now been disclosed by witnesses that he used an Oyster travel card to pass through the ticket barrier, and that, at first, he walked to the platform.
It is believed the officers did not properly identify themselves to him. Also, he was not wearing a heavy jacket which might have hidden a potential suicide bomb.
[/quote:a8c9a]
|